OFFICIAL SCHOOL WEBSITE: www.hanleyacademy.com
Superintendent: Steve Paddock
Principal: Shameka McPherson
Assistant Principals: Brian Dunn and Simone Gardner
Established in 2005, Hanley International Academy is a co-educational public charter school academy of choice, serving grades Pre-K through Grade 8. We are a culturally diverse independent charter school open and free to all families. For the 2011-12 school year, Hanley was proud to present our brand new "state-of-the-art" school. This school is THE school to attend in Hamtramck and it is the first brand new educational facility in Hamtramck since 1935! Hanley International Academy is governed by an appointed board of directors representing a variety of constituencies, cultures and professions. It is owned and operated by The Romine Group, Inc. The Romine Group, Inc. is an educational service provider to public school academies (charter) in the State of Michigan and we are chartered through GVSU (Grand Valley State University).
HANLEY INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY'S MISSION STATEMENT:
Hanley International Academy, in partnership with home and community,
will provide a safe learning environment that promotes the academic, physical, social,
and emotional development of our diverse learning community.
HANLEY INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY’S PHYSICAL EDUCATION MISSION:
The mission of Hanley Academy’s Physical Education and Health program is to provide appropriate instruction which maximizes an individual’s potential for developing and maintaining a healthy body, mind, and character. We believe that a quality Physical Education program is fundamental for our students. Why do children need a quality PE program? The simple answer is so that they will remain physically active throughout their lifetime and reap the benefits of doing so. Quality PE provides students with a multitude of important learning experiences that cannot be duplicated in the classroom. Physical Education is that phase of education which is concerned with the teaching of skills, improving physical fitness, the reinforcement of other subjects, self-discipline, leadership and cooperation, enhancing self-efficacy, stress reduction, and strengthening peer relationships. Physical activity contributes much to the growth, development, and the general well-being of every individual. Some of the benefits of our quality PE program are:
· An opportunity to teach character traits such as sportsmanship, teamwork, cooperation, encouragement, kindness, responsibility, self-esteem, respect for others, and so much more!
· A quality PE program keeps our students healthy through participation through the program, while teaching them the basic skills needed for future fitness, athletic, and health success. A student who is physically and mentally healthy is more likely to be prepared to meet the daily challenges of living in our society, and is more likely to make appropriate choices about lifestyles.
· Quality PE involves every student, and meets every student at his or her level of ability.
Hanley Academy Physical Education is more than running, calisthenics, or sport. It is a total movement experience that focuses on fun, involvement, character, self-esteem, health and fitness, and total well-being for our students. It is an essential part of every day to live long, healthy lives.
HANLEY INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY'S HEALTH EDUCATION MISSION:
The mission of Hanley International Academy's Health Education program is to provide apporpriate instruction which maximizes an individual's potential for developing and maintaining a healthy body, mind, and character. A quality health education program is fundamental for all students and it must support our students in developing and placing a high value on healthy behaviors. Our health program provides students with a multitude of learning experiences.
Hanley Academy Physical Education and Health students will:
· Acknowledge and appreciate diversity;
· Learn and appreciate the benefits of physical acitivity and healthy lifestyles;
· Engage in healthy practices;
· Be able to perform basic motor and psychomotor skills;
· Develop a thirst for learning;
· Encourage others to participate in physical activity and healthy lifestyles; and
· Exhibit strong morals, values, and character.
As Hanley Academy PE and Health Educators, we pledge that...
“NO CHILD WILL BE LEFT ON THEIR BEHIND!”